Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest celebrates centenary
The Academy of Economic Studies (ASE) in Bucharest this week marks a century of existence.
The first institution of higher economic education in Romania – Academy of High Commercial and Industrial Studies – was established on April 6, 1913, by Royal Decree.
In its 100 years of history, the Academy contributed to the shaping of destinies of over 300,000 young people who feel proud of the university they graduated.
‘Through the effort, dedication and passion of professors, students as well as of the administrative staff, ASE is today an advanced research and education institution, accredited institutionally by ARACIS (Romanian Agency for Quality Assurance in Higher Education) with ‘high degree of trust’, with study programmes being ranked in the first category. This positioning is an honour and at the same time forces us to consider strategies and programmes of university management which to value our tradition and reputation that we enjoy today, so that we become a competitive university at international level. This is the argument for which our motto is ‘Excellence through unity and diversity.’ Excellency is achieved only through harnessing diversity and catalyzing competencies towards common goals,’ said Prof. Dr. Pavel Nastase, who is also the President of ASE’s Senate, and Prof. Dr. Razvan Zaharia, in a common message celebrating the centenary.
The 1913 – 1947 interval, when the Academy functioned with its initial name of AISC, represent a beneficial stage in its history, for now appeared the first university programmes in business, inspired by the Western world, involving professors such as Gheorghe Tasca, Virgil Madgearu, Ion Raducanu, Nicolae Iorga, Victor Slavescu and others.
According to the website of the institution, in 1947, AISC merged with the Academy of Cooperative Studies from Bucharest to form the Academy of Commercial and Cooperative Studies (ASCC), but after less than a year, following education reform in 1948, the Academy of Commercial and Cooperative Studies turned into the Institute for Economic Sciences and Planning, according to the model provided by Soviet higher education institutions. However, since the 1967-1968 academic year, Romanian economic higher education has rediscovered its European vocation. In this context, following the process of modernization of the higher education system, the university became the Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest.
After the Revolution of 1989, followed a period of reorganization and institutional restructuring, the connection to the values and principles of the European Union by implementing the Bologna system and creating the European Research and Higher Education.
‘We can say without false modesty that we have today elite professors that make possible the revival of the spirit of our great predecessors, who gave rise to the Academy ever since the establishment. We had and we still have exceptional students and trainees, which were observed after graduation and they became brilliant professionals in all areas of economic and social life, both in Romania and abroad as,’ said Pavel Nastase and Razvan Zaharia in their common message.
On March 26, President Traian Basescu conferred the Order of Merit for Education – in rank of Commodore on the Bucharest Academy of Economic Studies FOR ‘ exceptional professionalism and abnegation its teaching staff have showed in the affirmation and the development of the Romanian education, science and economic culture’.